eKalappai is an opensource keyboard manager which can be used to type tamil text. After about 10 months of development ekalappai 3.0 ready for public use. This version is a complete rewrite from its earier versions of eKalappai. Its developed as a free software under GPL V3 license.
Here are the main features supported in this version:
- Supports following 5 keyboards to type Tamil in Unicode encoding: Tamil99 , Phonetic, Typewriter, Bamini, Inscript
- Keyboard shortcut (F2 key) to toggle between English and Tamil keyboards.
- Users can change the shortcut key to toggle between English and Tamil keyboards.
- The keyboard logic is stored in external files in scim-tables format(which is used in: http://www.scim-im.org/scim project) and some of the existing keyboards from SCIM project are reused here.
- Tamil99 and Tamil-typewriter keymaps are made so as to near fully conform to Tamil Nadu government's prescriptive standards for extension to Unicode as in G.O.Ms 29 dated 23-06-2010 and documents attached tender call of Tamil Virtual Academy TVA/SW/2010-11.
eKalappai 3.0 can be downloaded in the following URLs:
I thank all the members of thamizha.com team who have contributed to this project especially Sethu, Vijay Gupta, Arunan, AGE Venkatesh, Gunasekaran.
eKalappai 3.0 usage help documents: